Thursday, March 30, 2006

 

Where is Eden Village?

Eden Village isnt a real place, sort of. Eden Village is actually the name of my little cottage business. From my previous post, you saw that I am a soapmaker. Yep, soap! I got the idea for this post from one of my favorite blogs, Posie Gets Cozy. Alicia, the owner of that blog, wrote an entry all about naming your business. Over the course of the past 8 years, Ive come up with many names for my business, but none had stuck until I came up with Eden Village.

So, where did it come from? Well, I live in a very small town in South Central Ohio. Actually, its so small that it is classified as a village. 2 stoplights, no McDonalds, no Wal-mart, 1 family owned grocery store, 3 gas stations, you get the idea. I love living here. Its quiet, there are tree lined streets, old homes, old family names, just about everyone knows everyone or at least, someone of their family. Many, many years ago, Sabina was named the Eden of Ohio. Well, there ya go........Eden Village. But, to me, my company Eden Village Soap Co. is more than just a name. I firmly believe in supporting your own community. I may pay more for some of my ingredients because I buy them at my local IGA. I have my printing done at our little print shop that has been in business for generations. I get my lard, beeswax, honey from local farmers. I grow my own herbs that I add to each soap. All that being said, when I ship off a bar of my soap to another state or country ( from my little post office where I never wait in line and the clerks are friends of mine), Im shipping off a piece of "Eden Village". It makes me feel good to know that Im sharing a piece of this quiet, slow-paced little village and when they hold the soap to their nose to take in its scent, they are stopping for a brief moment to escape the hustle and bustle of their busy day.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?